In the fall we announced our new Do-it-Youreself Portrait Service. So far so good!
People have been making their own portraits in our studio with our studio lights. They just plug and play while we are available for help if needed.
One young family loved it so much, they booked a second session to bring MORE family. Smiles and giggles erupted from the photo studio as balloons pffrttttt-ed across the room (see below) and people climbed into position awaiting the burst of light that freezes the photo.
- Do-it-Yourself Portraits – Photo Studio – Ottawa
Some answers to common DIY questions:
“So do you (Harry) set up my camera?”
We set up the studio lights and then help you set up your camera. I give you the settings and, together, we make sure the camera and lights work. We do a few test photos to make sure everything works well and then you start taking the portraits – I remain in the back rooms of the studio in case you need any help during your session.
“Do you (Harry) take the photos for us on our cameras?”
No. I help you set up your camera properly and am there if you have questions. But I am not involved in the picture taking.
“Who owns the copyright? What does it cost to get prints?”
As you are taking your own photos on your own camera and memory card YOU own the copyright! That means you can print your photos wherever you like – at home, at a discount lab or at a pro lab. You have control of your photos, printing and printing costs!
Do-it-Yourself Portraits - Photography Studio - Ottawa
“How do we take our own pics . . do I put on the timer, etc . .”
There are a number of ways you can take your own photos:
1. Set your camera to a self timer mode – usually you can set the camera to 10 second delay which is enough time to join your family/friends.
2. Some cameras (Nikon D200, D300 and others) have an interval timer feature where you hit ‘go’ and the camera takes photos every second or few seconds. It can be programmed to take 1 or 10 or 25 photos in a row at set intervals. One group did that recently and got some fun results!
3. You can use an infra red ‘self portrait’ remote. We have one that you can use with many Nikon cameras. For Canon, etc, they are fairly cheap – $25?
4. You can buy a remote control device – expensive!
5. One of the group can act as photographer and physically take the photo.
Beyond the set-up/test phase I do not take the photos – but offer support as needed.
Do-it-Yourself Portraits - Ottawa Photo Studio
Sunday November 6th – Only 9am slot available.
Monday, November 7th
Thursday, November 17
Sunday November 20th
Sunday, December 4th
Weekend Time slots: 9am, 10:15, 11:30, 12:45, 2pm, 3:15pm, 4:30pm
Weekday Time slots: 6, 7:15, 8:30pm
By appointment only – Please contact us to see what is available.
Ottawa Studio Works 160 Preston St., between Gladstone and Somerset bordering on Little Italy and China Town.
Ottawa Studio Works is a working photo studio offering an 11×24 main studio with a support room available for make-up and styling. Bathroom and kitchenette are also available to support your portrait session. We also rent the photo studio by the day or half day.
Introductory cost for 1 hour session
$125 + HST
Reservations required. Book your session for an hour. The second consecutive hour is $100.
Space is limited! Contact us by email or by phone at 819-827-9460 for more information and book your session.