Harry Nowell is an Ottawa area educator, fine art photographer, assignment photographer and public speaker.
• With close to 20 years experience as a working photographer, Harry’s work has appeared in Canadian Geographic, Canoe and Kayak, Explore, newspapers and many other editorials.
• Two photo agencies represent his stock work around the world. The biggest sale for the usage of a single photo was over $30,000.
• His commercial clients include government, private schools, business, and professionals seeking branded imagery.
Fine Photography Artwork
Harry’s work is available through galleries or directly though his office.
His current, long term project is Watershed. Over the last 15 years Harry has explored and photographed, using large film formats, 20 km of a creek that runs from the Gatineau Hills to the Gatineau River. The project continues.
Harry draws on teaching experiences dating back to the early 1990s. For the past 15 years, Harry has run a series of popular photo workshops in the Ottawa area on a wide-range of photo topics. Students value his patience, enthusiasm and his ability to make complex photography accessible.
His teaching successes are grounded in his photo background and also in his training as a teacher. There are those who can take a good photograph. And some people have been taught to teach. There are very few that are proficient at both skills – photography and teaching – to help simplify the complexities of fine photography!
What Students Say
“I appreciated your patience and the time you gave us to ensure we understood. We all raved about how lucky and grateful we were to have learnt from you, your knowledge & experience.”
“You are always so consistent with making sure everyone understands the concept and getting it in our cameras … You are the best instructor out there.”
“Harry is an awesome teacher. I give him 10/10!”
• Harry completed a Bachelor of Education in the spring of 2015
• Prior to starting his photography business in the early 1990s, Harry pursued a degree in Finance and Economics at the University of Western Ontario.
• He then spent several years leading expeditions as an instructor for Outward Bound an outdoor education organization that fosters personal growth by presenting people with physical and emotional challenges they are not sure they can accomplish.
• Harry also taught alpine, telemark & nordic skiing, canoeing and some climbing across Canada and skiing in Europe.
• Early on, Harry assisted photographers including famed landscape photographer Malak Karsh