Harry Nowell is an Ottawa area teacher. Previously, he worked as an assignment & stock photographer and taught a wide range of photography through his Ottawa studio on Preston St. The studio closed when Harry started teaching in the public school board.
• Harry has been teaching since the early 1990s in outdoor ed., arts, Forest School and traditional schools.
• Currently, Harry teaches with the Ottawa Carleton District School Board in elementary grades. Harry brings his Forest School background wherever he goes.
• Prior to the school board, Harry has run a series of popular photo, arts, and small business workshops in the Ottawa area to schools, college/university, government, industry and the general public.
• With close to 20 years experience as a working photographer, Harry’s work has appeared in Canadian Geographic, Royal Ottawa Hospital, CBC, NCC, and magazines/newspapers.
• Two photo agencies represented his stock work around the world. The biggest sale for the usage of a single photo was over $30,000.
• His commercial clients include government, private schools, business, and professionals seeking branded imagery.
Fine Photography Artwork
Harry’s work is available through galleries or directly though his office.
His current, long term project is Watershed. Since 2001 Harry has explored and photographed, using large film formats, 25 km of a creek that runs from the Gatineau Hills to the Gatineau River. The project continues.
What Students Say
“I appreciated your patience and the time you gave us to ensure we understood. We all raved about how lucky and grateful we were to have learnt from you, your knowledge & experience.”
“You are always so consistent with making sure everyone understands the concept and getting it in our cameras … You are the best instructor out there.”
“Harry is an awesome teacher. I give him 10/10!”
• Harry graduated Magna Cum Laude from UOttawa’s Bachelor of Education.
• Harry is a Forest School educator.
• Prior to starting his photography business in the early 1990s, Harry pursued a degree in Finance and Economics at the University of Western Ontario.
• He then spent several years leading expeditions as an instructor for Outward Bound an outdoor education organization that fosters personal growth by presenting people with physical and emotional challenges they are not sure they can accomplish.
• Harry also taught alpine, telemark & nordic skiing, canoeing and some climbing across Canada and skiing in Europe.
• Early on, Harry assisted photographers including famed landscape photographer Malak Karsh