In 2006, my web-savvy girlfriend suggested “Write a free photo newsletter with tips and upcoming events.”
I thought she was crazy! It sounded like extra work to me.
Well, I did it (and then married my girlfriend.) I’ve sent Exposed! every month with photo tips, ideas and workshop announcements for almost a decade.
• I’ve promoted imagination, creativity and exploration of new ideas.
• I’ve challenged you to try new things at the risk of failing (on the way to new successes.)
• I’ve urged you to take time off to keep your creative juices flowing.
I’m about to take a big dose of my own advice…
I’m taking a 9 month sabbatical from my business to build on my love of teaching – I’ll be pursuing my Bachelor of Education degree.
“What about your business! Why change a good thing?“
• I’ve been working as a photographer for over 20 years. And I’ve been teaching our photography workshops since 2001. I’ve had some great successes. Some time off can be beneficial!
• The world of photography keeps evolving. But photo is not where it was when I started. I still love aspects of what I do. It’s time to step back, recharge and re-emerge.
• Our live photo workshops receive ongoing praise. And Online Program Members love the unique community we’ve built around monthly interactive challenges! Members recently took me out to dinner (it was a lovely surprise – THANKYOU!) However, I’m finding fewer people are willing to pay for a quality, interactive photo community.
• And for a couple of years I’ve been looking to my past to build my future.
My two favourite work elements are:
2. Creative innovation (developing new ideas into functional final work.)
… And these are where I am focusing my future!
“What can we look forward to in the next few years?”
I’m not exactly sure of future specifics but these fun projects are on the horizon:
• more balance for my family (I worked LONG hours for very modest returns)
• work in a traditional classroom
• a few classic (and new) photo/art workshops/events – Creative Fundamentals in May 2015.
• innovative, creative work
• art based projects – Watershed, Sunstreaks
Over the next 9 months I’ll blog at a slower rate and send fewer photo blasts through this newsletter.
I’ve often urged people to take time off. But I rarely have.
My new challenge is waiting for me!
Stay in touch, please. I love hearing your photo (and other) adventures. And stay tuned for spring 2015…
I’m excited (and nervous) about the next nine months.
PS We’re having a gear sale at our studio, 160 Preston St. Saturday August 16th; 9am to noon. Cash or credit card. Some items (business) are taxable. All sales final. Items must be picked up that day.
Partial list for sale:
• 42″ LG monitor
• Manfrotto Autopoles and other equipment
• risers for studio
• photo props
• metal frames
• hard wood desk
• office furniture
• comfortable folding chairs (from the Congress Centre)
• MEC baby backpack (brand new)
• Nikonos (underwater) film camera
• miscellaneous camera items