The Photography for Communications Professionals workshop is designed for both public and private sector communications professionals who want to create more engaging workplace imagery and gain confidence behind the camera.
“Very informative and well worth the time and cost.”
Available anytime schedules permit.
• One person; full day: $800
• 7-8 people; full day: $600/person
Other groups – contact us for pricing
Location: Anything is possible. We can meet at your location or we can arrange locations.
We run this course throughout the year as a Custom Course tailored to your department needs. Contact us for details, pricing, availability.
Available usually once a year.
Typical details (may change):
• Morning: Technical and practical information
• Afternoon: On Location shooting in central Ottawa/Hull
“Photography for Communications Professionals is the perfect length, perfect structure, and perfect information for government photographers. One of the best teachers I’ve ever experienced.”
We can meet a full-range of needs. Contact us for details.
What you will learn
Our personal, pratical method teaches participants the fundamental concepts of photography from a unique communications perspective. Topics covered include: exposure, focus, depth of field, perspective and composition. Participants will learn to:
- Create better quality photos
- Critically evaluate photos for print and online publications
- Learn about copyright, usage rights and photo value
- Avoid the “grip-and-grin” cliche
- Optimize photos and words to tell a more compelling story
- Learn about appropriate use of flash
- Save time & resources by creating quality photos in-house
- Gain senior management approval and buy-in
- Learn what to look for when hiring a photographer
“I very much enjoyed the Photography for Comms Professionals course. You were very conscious of the challenges faced by comms professionals and presented some great tips for getting around sticky situations…”
Each workshop has three parts with relatively short teaching segments that allow you to retain the information easily and effectively.
- Indoor classroom learning session
- Field trip including experimentation, shooting and questions
- Ongoing critique of photos
The knowledge that you learn can be applied to all areas of corporate photography including:
- Company events and celebrations
- Executive portraits
- Award ceremonies
- Public relations/media events
- Marketing materials
- Intranet and internet sites
- Employee newsletters and more
“We have been practicing out our new photography skills at events and are amazed at how much better the shots are turning out!” E.M.
Harry Nowell is an Ottawa area photo educator, stock photographer, assignment photographer and public speaker. His stock photography sells through a network of agencies around the world. Harry shoots events, promotional material, editorial work, annual reports, portraits, etc. for public and private clients. For the past ten years, Harry has run a series of successful photo workshops based out of the Ottawa area.
Harry is valued by his students for his patience, enthusiasm and his ability to make complex photography accessible.
Participants should bring a camera ideally with interchangeable lens(es).
“Harry leads a focused, interesting, extremely helpful workshop – I got what I came for.”
Registration or more information:
Contact us by email or by phone at 819-827-9460.